Introductions & promises.

 
Lots of eating celebrating this weekend- first, with my mom and her husband, on Saturday night, and yesterday, with my dad and his wife on Sunday.
   
But before I get into that, let's talk about my father for a sec.  During our lunch at Umami Burger a couple of months ago, he was very "confused" as to why I insisted on photographing our experience in way more detail than he is used to me doing so... the red-lettered sign, the cool lights, the mirror, the old-fashioned soda bottles- of course- the FOOD.  Instead of digging right in, I snapped away... as he asked Ryan- "Does she always do this??"
            
Needless to say, the blog became the 'butt of his jokes' (yes- he is quite the jokester) for the duration of our lunch (all harmless jokes, btw).  Whether it fit in to the topic or not, it was relentlessly shoved to the forefront.  Tease all you want, I thought.  You clearly haven't experienced the sheer beauty that is blogging.  My own little secret garden of bliss.  

Later that evening, he called.  "I get it," he boldly stated.  Many kind words and compliments later, he subtly informed me, that he wasn't really featured in my blog.  All in good time I replied.  All in good time.  


Now is the time.  Without further ado~ my father.  One of the few people on this planet that can make me laugh until I have tears in my eyes and pains in my stomach. 
             

My parents were divorced when I was very young, and I really didn't see him often in my younger years.  But, as an adult- it has been an absolute pleasure getting to know him.  When Ryan and I were dating, he started taking karate lessons under the instruction of my dad.  He led Ryan all the way to his black belt.  This was a huge opportunity for not only them to bond, but for he and I to do the same.


As I've mentioned before, he was remarried, and has a beautiful daughter- the same age as Jacob, who my kids (and I) love.  A sister that I never thought I'd have! {She took the above picture by the way =).}
  

And as I've also mentioned- a lovely wife (pictures next time!) with mad skills in the kitchen... referred to yesterday by my father as "the cobbler goddess".  After enjoying the above, I fully concur.  *Side-note- the cobbler really was this bright.  I couldn't stop staring at it!  She's got secrets I tell you! (secrets that she's more than willing to share)
   

Since we hadn't eaten enough, we ended the day with pizza.  But to our credit, not just any pizza.  Pizza created with one of Ryan's father's day presents- but this is a post for another day.  All in good time.
 

15 comments:

  1. Aw, that's really sweet of your husband to find a way to create his own relationship with your dad. Sounds like you have some great guys in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! So sweet. He sounds like a great guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Father's Day to your special guys!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear the men in your life had such a fab day...Now can I get that pizza dough recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're experimenting with different recipes and different doughs... Last night's was from My Father's Daughter (2nd time we used this recipe- first with 'regular' flour, second with the '00' flour- used for the first time last night). Good, but very sticky both times- required over a cup of extra flour. Prior to this we primarily used part WW/part AP... using a variety of recipes as well. So- I will (soon!) write another post about the using the stone/dough recipes, but we don't (yet) have one "perfect" recipe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you share this insight to your life. You dad is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the picture of you and ryan. (you both look 25, what gives???! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your dad wanted to be featured!! That's awesome :) My parents hid behind the doors. haha!

    and love that pic of you and your hubs, too. super cute.

    now pass the cobbler. it's almost time for the bachelorette.

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so sweet and nice to learn more about your family..and wow a black belt in Karate? That's impressive! Ok I agree with Kristin-can't wait to see the pizza dough recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww your dad sounds so awesome, I love dads! And takng Karate with Ryan? What an idyllic relationship--black belt, impressive.

    Love that you're wearing the shirt you mentioned :P

    And that cobbler?? droooool, favorite summer baked dessert for sure

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love anytime I get family pics! You guys all are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post about your Dad! He looks like such a really cool guy, and a black belt great dad and grandpa! Loved reading about this. Oh the cobbler makes me really want some now, looking forward to reading about your Dad's wife. BTW, is that your kitchen? It so beautifully light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Torrie. This is a great post. I love hearing happy stories about blended, complicated families. I come from one and have created one myself and I am always hoping for the best - newer spouses and children who feel loved, accepted and appreciated. Thanks for sharing a bit of yours and I hope you share some cobbler secrets soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet post! And I love the pictures :) I am excited to hear all about your secrets in pizza making!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a fun and delicious weekend!

    http://www.badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...