Well worth the dough.

 
                                                            
We're at the very end of the most unproductive weekend of all time.  It started off on the right track... a night out with Danielle & Carrie.  And they were just as fun & cute & down-to-earth & feisty &... everything that I've grown to love about them through their blogs.  I admit.  I was a little nervous- for like a 1/2 second.  Once we actually met- those nerves were quickly put to rest.  Just like old friends chatting it up, over squash blossoms, chorizo, halibut, tigerlilies & more.  Women who appreciate a full plate and a strong drink (gals after my own heart).  It was a total pleasure to to meet them in person.  Not to mention- kinda nice talking about blogging with bloggers (since I think I've bored Ryan to death about the topic).

The rest of the weekend was pretty quiet and in my kid's opinion- boring.  But after such a full week- we needed it.  Maybe they didn't, but we did.  With a complete lack of energy and inspiration- I had the full intention of not writing a post... just an evening of sangria, beef stew, & Next Food Network star (yes, we're food-obsessed).  

Until I read Kristen's post... Lazy Day.   

As you might remember, we're big fans of homemade pizza.  So, a couple of years ago, my SIL & mom joined forces and gave Ryan a pizza stone.  Not just any pizza stone... a good pizza stone  We. Love. It.  I didn't pay for it, but I have paid for several predecessors, and I can vouch.  This is worth the price.  We've had many $15/20 stones in the past crack after just a few uses.  Not this baby.  And we've used it far more than just a few times- indoor & out.  Plus, it's been an absolute lifesaver for sleepovers & play dates.  Let 'em build their own pizza and your work of 'keeping them entertained' is done.  Entertainment + a delicious child-friendly meal.  Win-win.  

I realize I'm sounding like a commercial at this point, but- we also use it for baking bread.  So... if you're looking for a father's day gift, or you want the man in your life to master the art of homemade pizza, this is your ticket.  And even less than a fancy handbag.
   

24 comments:

  1. Oh Torrie! I am so glad you posted this because I have always (even being the foodie that I am) been like I don't need a stone. I can do without it. I usually just place the pizza on the rack directly. This option can get a little messy with homemade pizza so I need to up the anty and invest in one! What brand did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torrie-You have to help me! I bought a great stone for pizza but have not used it. Please give me some tips on the best way to use it. Do you roll out the dough on the stone or roll it out and somehow move it to the stone? Also will the pizza be crispy? Need help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a perfect weekend. I am glad you had good friends, good food, good drinks and a good rest!
    xx
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved meeting you in person. My only wish is that we could do it more often. I ditched my pizza stone in the move because I had never used it. Now regretting that choice :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you deliver?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute photo of the two of you. I'm so sad to have missed the blogger meet up. I can imagine how much fun it was to connect in person and I'm so happy for you guys. I hope we get to meet up in person someday soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are. . . are you drinking Log Cabin maple syrup in that picture?

    We have a pizza stone too and it gets used for EVERYTHING. Sweet potato fries, pretzels, everything. I agree, well worth the investment.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be super nervous to meet fellow bloggers! I know of a few in Georgia (like me), but I always think, 'Oh, what if they don't think I'm as funny and interesting in "real life" as I am online?!' Silly, I know, especially since my blog is a pretty accurate sharing of who I am. :)

    From your collective blogger discussion, I'm curious what you all agreed are the best and worst parts of the experience.

    And, speaking of pizza stones, I just read this weekend that you're supposed to heat them for like an hour before using them. I had no idea, but probably will not be adding this step to the process. (I can't stand the idea of wasting the energy!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dinner and drinks - what's not to like?! I know you all had a blast! And we need to invest in a good pizza stone. I think we've gone through 2 that were crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great weekend! I definitely need to get a pizza stone, I can't believe I've gone this long without one! And I make pizza (with the Trader Joe's dough) about once a week. So true about it being a great gift idea too. I'm also OBSESSED with Next Food Network Star! It's so good!!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recommendation though more for me and not hubby since he does not spend much time in the kitchen making things. I am a big fan of spending well for kitchen items that will last a lifetime so I'll have to put this on my wish list. I had been thinking about the Pampered Chef stone but truthfully there isn't much pizza-making going on around here just yet. Our local magazine just did a roundup of top 10 pizza places in our county so we drove right over to No. 2, where we had a delicious pizza dinner after an impromptu hike with the kids yesterday. Then as I was reviewing the list again I noticed they had a very yummy-looking recipe for a gorgonzola pizza that made my mouth water so I think I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a great time with Danielle & Carrie! We have to plan *our* meet up...either you are going to make it up here or I'll make it down there sooner or later! :) And that pizza stone sounds like a great Father's Day present for my husband...that boy loves to cook...

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pretty much cements it...The hubs is getting a pizza stone! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. @STYLE'N This is a very, very good question. In fact, I'm going to do (or have Ryan do!) a separate post, since there's definitely a "pizza stone learning curve!" We're headed out to dinner in a few minutes, but I'll send you an email later!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @The Suburb Experiment hahaha... Okay, so I'm glad you asked. I'm drinking wine, but the giganto (is that a word?) bottle of Log Cabin is my brother's "sense of humor." The year before, he gifted us with a HUGE Hershey Bar. I'm talkin' HUGE. He's trying to get me to be a hoarder. I'm sure of it.

    Okay... sweet potato fries??? We've never thought to use if for that! Which recipe do you use? And pretzels are at the tippy top of my to-make list! I'll definitely use the stone now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Leslie *Fresh Out of Lemons* Love your comment :). I'm sending you an email later too!

    As for pre-heating, it's seriously a must! Needs to get SUPER HOT (or the crust won't cook through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Katie We all wished you were there Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Valerie You're a girl after my own heart =) too, and YES- you NEED a stone. BTW- we've been making your 'truffle oil/mushroom pizza/goat cheese' and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Minnie You gotta tell me- Where is #2?? (you & I live somewhat close, so maybe I can visit #2 as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @saltandpine Yes, and yes... You guys would definitely get LOTS of use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Kristin Thanks for the much needed 'post inspiration' :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great weekend and your dinner sounded fabulous! What yummy food. How fantastic that you met with another blogger. I would love to talk face to face with another blogger about so many things...Also headed over to Lazy Day - love her blog!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Torrie, I need to go to Pizza University, because every time I try to make it...it's just not awesome. Maybe that's an idea for a next meetup: pizza party?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...