Recipe Exchange- Let's Get Cooking- Butternut Squash, Sage, & White Bean Soup ... and a perfect autumn salad.

 
The lazy days of summer are long gone.  Tossed salads and Lucky Charms for dinner just don't cut it during the months of autumn.  Time to pull out the ol' slow cooker and start watching some of the zillion Food Network shows that have  been sitting lonely in our DVR.  

No, really, if you've been following along, you know that I do love fall, and I have been back in the kitchen for a while, trying to 'cook up autumn weather' here in sunny southern California.  But, it does take time(!) trying to cook healthy-efficient-simple-cost effective-edible-to-my-kids meals night after night.  I'm constantly scouring blogs for inspiration, bookmarking recipes left and right.  That is why I was so delighted when Michelle, aka- Pretty Mommy initiated this incredible {roaming} fall recipe exchange.  Dinner ideas- DAILY... Delivered right to my reader!  Michelle kicked it off yesterday, with a seemingly delicious Taco Soup, straight from her mom's recipe box.  And I'm up next!
... 

Ever since attending this cooking class at an amazing cooking school in LA, the arrival of fall = the making of this simple, incredibly aromatic soup.  I guarantee- if fall has an aroma, this soup is it.  Today, was a cloudy, cool, drizzly day - perfect timing.  Hearty enough for a main course, easy enough for a weeknight meal, and tasty enough for an autumn dinner party.  Below the soup recipe, you'll find a very versatile vinaigrette.  Truly a "recipe" to taste and perfect- according to the menu, your preference, and salad ingredients.  Just the right balance of salty, sweet, tangy, deliciousness...

 
{Click recipe to print; cook's notes below}
 
*Cook's Notes:
  • I recommend roasting the butternut squash- makes your house smell wonderful, and adds a nice flavor to the squash (1/2 in. dice... the smaller the dice, the 'roastier'- and tastier the squash!).
  • The soup keeps for about 4 days and freezes very well.
  • You can also eliminate the beans and serve in espresso cups as an appetizer.
 
 
I hope you try these recipes, and others to come.  Follow along via the schedule and links below, and let's get cookin'!!  I've seen the "to-cook" list, and I promise- Good Stuff in Store.  

Head over to see Katie today, @ the30girl.com... She's up next!
 
Oct 4th - Michelle - Pretty Mommy
Oct 5th - Torrie - a place to share...
Oct 6th - Katie - the30girl.com
Oct 7th - Karen- It all started at Mother's
Oct 8th - Estelle - Under A Pink Moon
Oct 11th - Danielle - domestic dish
Oct 12th - Chassity - Look Linger Love
Oct 13th - Rebecca - Reluctant Floridian
Oct 14th - Elisabeth - You Plus Me Equals
Oct 15th - Jora -- Domestic Reflections
Oct 18th - catherine - Rikshaw Design
Oct 19th - Abby - 5th Joy
Oct 20th - stephanie - Scrumptious
Oct 21st - jennifer - Whisk It Good
Oct 22nd - kate - Everything but the Squeal
Oct 25th - Tina - Bull In A China Shop
Oct 26th - Kim - Lighter and Local 
Oct 27th - Elaine - Mama Seasonings
Oct 28th - Jess - Shades of Sunshine


23 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh the soup sounds amazing! I have never made anything butternut squash...I think that is about to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I'm officially sick (I've been denying it for weeks now) and really wish someone would make this soup for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Torrie! You are a Diva! that soup sounds amazing! I am printing both recipes and my husband want to thank you from the bottom of his heart!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Torrie, this is genius! I'm definitely going to make your butternut squash soup. It looks delicious and seems easy and healthy. So true, perfect for cold drizzly days like today (and yesterday, and tomorrow supposedly). I always pull out my crock pot this time of year and start making turkey chili and soups. I'm always looking for new recipes for the crock pot. It's so nice to come home to a house that smells amazing and a warm home cooked meal. I'll be checking out the other recipe exchange blogs too. Thanks!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, I just read your comment about the Tucker dress! I'm so glad you found one and liked it! That's exactly how I felt about it at first, but it's so appealing to be in a cute dress that's roomy and comfy! I'm also going to wear it to all the dinner parties and fall events that I haven't yet been invited to. haha. I'm sure it looks amazing on you!

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made a butter nut squash soup the other day with shrimp. Isn't butter nut squash so divine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing. I'm definitel making this. Even my baby girl will like it :) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this soup sounds great! i love butternut squash; so, i'm definitely going to give it a whirl. and thanks for inspiring a cool-weather salad with your vinaigrette!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!! I love butternut squash, so this will definitely be added to my list of things I need to make soon!! The salad looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow that soup looks fantastic!! Printing the recipees out now... thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! What a perfect day to make this, Torrie, since you know I'm in Southern California, too, and experiencing a (finally) cool, rainy day. Just yesterday I was thinking it was time to pull out my pumpkin pasta recipe. I finally went out and got the ingredients for that macaroni dish you posted, but then forgot the list when I was out shopping!?! I mistakenly bought orange cheddar instead of white cheddar. Do you think it makes a difference, in terms of taste, or should I go out and get the right cheddar? Silly question, but am not experienced enough w/cheddar to know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow this one is yours! Ok this looks really delicious to me. I assume you highly recommend it so I should definitely give it a try. Love this series!
    naina

    ReplyDelete
  13. that sounds delicious. I love me some butternut squash and combining it with sage is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Butternut squash is one of my all time favorite soups and I have never tried making it! That will soon change... thanks for the great looking recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. O.k. now I know I need to make this very soon. Sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for this lovely soup! I loved the writing style of the recipe, as well--very casual, move along at your own pace, a bunch here, cover with an inch, etc. I tweaked it just a tiny bit for anyone interested... I chopped the sage and cooked it along with the onion and celery in stage 1 (I used nearly a whole container of the plastic herb sage packs); I reserved a few sage leaves for frying in olive oil and crushed them after they'd dried to use as a garnish; and most significantly, I mashed the white beans with a potato masher before adding them (I also cooked the beans in more sage, rosemary, and bay leaf for anyone going that route). Everything was delicious. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very generic reply, but THANK YOU EVERYONE!! I sincerely appreciate each and every comment, and that you took the time to do so.

    For those of you new to my blog, thank you for stoppin' by... and I hope you come back:)!

    Minnie- No, orange is totally fine (I just prefer a sharp cheddar- whether white or orange)- and I'm so glad you're going to try it. Let me know how it turns out!

    Anonymous- WHO are you?? Love your adaptations and completely agree with the recipe style. I tightened it up a bit, but that really is this school's entire concept... and I LOVE it. They encourage you to adapt/not measure/substitute... and their writing reflects that. So much more fun (and 'freeing') to follow that kind of recipe, right?? And next time- I'm tryin' it your way (w/ maybe a few changes of my own:).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for the words of advice re: cheddar. I will definitely let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. torrie, i am here and i WANT TO MAKE THAT SOUP!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, bliss is butternut squash soup!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Torrie!! Making this soup tonight (it's freeeezing here!!) Looking forward to it :) Thanks so much for posting it!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...