It pays to plan.



It was a pleasure to kick off estelle's "gardening adventure" series yesterday, with soil preparation tips.  I thought I'd share a few more BIG & little tips that we've found to be especially helpful.

1.)Utilize a garden journal.
... never before realized how much planning, researching, designing, sketching, adjusting, observing, trouble-shooting... that a garden entails.  this journal allows us to record all of it in one spot.

2.) Maximize your gardening space *without over-crowding.
... by far, one of our biggest lessons learned last year... & greatest discoveries this year- GrowVeg.com.  proper spacing, smart grouping... both absolutely essential.  this online planner allows you to draw out your garden, and shows "how much space plants require and how to group them for maximum success."
                                 
3.) Combine seedlings with seeds.
... some vegetables take longer to mature from seed.  although most of our plants start out in the form of seeds planted directly into the garden (the kids love helping to pick out the "seed packets" :))- when it comes to long-season plants (such as tomatoes & peppers), we purchase seedlings from the nursery.  last year, we tried to start our own; everything started off really well... then just like that, they all DIED.  this year, we needed to experience more success than failure simply want to get our soil, grouping, and spacing down, so we took the easy route when it comes to seedlings.

4.) Plan the menu... & stock up.
... a seemingly little tip, but made a world of difference.  no question about it... gardening can definitely be relaxing & "therapeutic" even.  but the days of purchasing, hauling, clearing, soil-preparing, & planting is a. lot. of. work. {especially when you squeeze the whole job into a day & a 1/2} ... {and especially when you want to mix in other weekend activities- such as eating}... solution??  plan your weekend menu (and stock up on groceries).  when you're hot & dirty & gross (not that i was or anything), it's no fun to plan meals, go to the store- or even run and get takeout.  *also- start the day right with a big ol' "mug" of coffee and have drinks & snacks ready for your always-hungry children [& self].

5.) Make it a family affair.
... while keeping in mind that a.) perfection has no place in gardening (because let me tell ya- they will not put the seed in the perfect spot- or dig the holes in the perfect proximity to one another... but neither will i!), and b.) they need breaks... to analyze worms, stare at the dirt(??), play in the yard, and of course- EAT.
                
Whether getting out in the garden or hitting up the pubs, have fun going GREEN this weekend :).
 

12 comments:

  1. So fun! I can't wait to get our tomatoes planted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all these pictures, you have such wonderful energy (how is it so sunny down there, your photos are so light?) El nino here. My husband loves heading off to garden store, coming back with trillions of stuff and then pottering in the backyard tending to his $100 tomatoes (he need to keep a diary of all his spendings! ) I'm going to send this to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A diary of his spending just might be in order! {You crack me up :). }

      But I will say, that it’s pretty craaaaazy how much we pour into this “money-saving hobby”… we’re still waiting for our return on investment.

      Delete
  3. So glad it is gardening time again! Oh Spring, how I have missed thee! Love the tips you give, especially the seeds and seedlings one! I shall try that this weekend when I start my gardening! Hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cool that you're gardening!! You're going to save so much money on shopping too. I would like to buy a tomato plant and some basil to grow, because that seems to be the thing that I spend the most on at the store that then go bad because I don't use them in time. Can't wait to see the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome Torrie! Kudos to you for doing this. I can barely keep a plant or Orchid alive in my house. What great habits and lessons you are teaching your children too. I wish I lived closer to you so I could take all your leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Torrie, you're sweet for checking in with me! I just had to take a break because I was getting too overwhelmed between teaching and trying to keep up with my blog. I was just getting too stressed and feeling like I had no free time!!

    Glad to see that you're still doing well! Sorry I haven't checked in with you in the past month. I vowed that I would take a break with blogging all together to try to catch up with life!!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i understand ENTIRELY. catching up with life is necessary... otherwise, what do we really have to blog about?? :)

      take all the time you need (we'll be here!)... however- selfishly- i do look forward to your return. :)

      Delete
  7. I find I like the hoe and weed ripping part of gardening and then I just want all my veggies to be here. I know I am doing something horribly wrong because last year was a total bust (other than a few BABY sized zuchinis- and when i say baby, I don't mean mini. I mean HUMAN baby). Sigh, can't decide if I have the heart to try again this year. It would be year 3 of trying. Perhaps we can discuss my black thumb over dinner tonight ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never got to discuss it... but seriously- send me details (re. your soil, sunlight, etc.) and i'd love to discuss further- and help via emails back & forth! (if you'd like :))

      Delete
  8. Another genius post, Torrie. I have no idea about that online tool and it looks so useful. I took a ton of notes for my imagined veggie garden and then for my cutting garden but they were scattered on so many different scraps of paper and now I'm really wishing I had just devoted a notebook to the endeavor. That is very good advice, indeed. I can't wait to see your garden grow. I certainly hope you will keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...